Inferences about Kevin:
- When he was young he did a puppet show for a sick injured kid in the neighborhood as well as performing in a local clinic for blind kids.
- Passionate about what he loves doing
- When he was young he made his first puppet out of his dad’s trench coat due to his amazement with puppet shows as a kid like captain kangaroo
- Made several puppets during high school and a couple more as the years go by
- Determined to achieve what he wants
- There was a point when some kids in school were teasing him that he was playing with a doll or when other people say he will not make any fortune out of it but he never stopped instead he kept on making puppets and practice with them
- Took advantage of his high school trip to visit PBS
- Determined and resourceful
- He was not always around while his little girl was growing up though he really wanted to the demand for his appearance is necessary
- Dedicated to his work
- Torn between family time and work time but faced the adversaries of his work professionally
- There was a point in time that his daughter messaged him asking him to spend some time with her for she will be moving to college in a few years time and so he did manage to spend time wisely with work and his daughter
- A loving father
- He did realize Elmo’s importance to kids, and his too, when a young girl wanted to see Elmo as a dying wish
- Trains and inspires aspiring puppeteers
- An inspiration
Being Elmo is a story of how a man is in the likelihood of acquiring success if he pursues his dreams and aspirations in life with all passion and dedication. It is a story of how a person was able to succeed despite challenges along the way as long as determination and focus are set on a sturdy will that no matter how hard the road to success may be aspiration will always get it into something great. It tells a story of how so much passion is put into something that pays really well especially when the person takes people into consideration aside from his own. A story of childhood in every person and how a simple childish dream was set into the biggest reality of having a dream come true that brings every aspiring child in every viewer. Kevin Clash is a strong-willed character who knows where to put his dreams to eventually become a reality. An ambitious hardworking and dedicated person with what he loves to do even when other people think that his passion for puppets will not get him anywhere. This is a tear-jerker documentary of connivance between passionate individuals when Kevin Clash clashes into an almost losing red puppet that changed both of their worlds into a dream come true.
Kevin is an ambitious boy that even at an early age he knew what he wants to do and would make people around him know how much he is into it. His ambition made him do his first puppet out of his father’ trench coat without even thinking what his folks would say but nevertheless, he did it to show how much his conviction for his dream is. The same ambition blinded him of the obstacles along the way that made him stay focused despite negativities around his passion for puppets (‘Being Elmo’).
Kevin is an optimistic person. He always sees the bright side in everything that keeps him more focused and dedicated. He wanted to prove that he will not fail. Take for instance when Elmo was thrown in his palm and was asked to find a voice for it. He knew how experienced and great Richard Hunt is, but nevertheless, he took the challenge and stood up for it. Kevin went home to Baltimore and put dedication into the voice of Elmo. His childhood and loving character were transpired into the red puppet and so Elmo was born to spread love the way he was created for (‘Being Elmo’).
He does not care much if he works behind the cam and that everybody knows Elmo but only a few know him what is important to him is that he is able to bring inspiration to many people while enjoying what he really wanted to do since he was ten (‘Being Elmo’).
His life was not perfect—marriage, divorced, not being around for his daughter, but through his puppets, he sees the world differently as if its sesame street everywhere—a pacifying perfect world where there are no barriers and everyone can be perfect the way they are. In the later part, it can be analyzed how contrasting his life could be. He is a tough hardworking person at work that when the time comes when the demand for Elmo was a global phenomenon he chose not to have other people do Elmo aside from him and at the same time he is a soft spotted person as shown when he chose to spend time with his daughter when he was asked to. He is always in awe that he has created a puppet but not as much as how he has created a human being in the form of his daughter. This could the reason for his amazement with puppets, the creation of life into something great the way he was able to create life, by having a daughter, bring life into a puppet and even touch more lives beyond the streets of sesame. Indeed Kevin Clash is an ambitious, hardworking and dedicated person that stands for what he loves and loves what he stands for that have leaped him soaring high above all those people who did not believe him at the start.
“Being Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey.” Dir. Constance Marks. Narr. Whoopie Goldberg. Dogwoof Digital. USA. 2011. Television